Howto Adopt a Positive Mindset for Success
If you’ve ever said, “I can’t do it”, “I will never make it” or “I’m not smart enough for that”, these negative thoughts are keeping you from realizing your full potential.
Negative thoughts can be obstacles in the following ways:
- Irritability:Negativity makes you quick to anger. Your self-pity can turn to frustration which may subsequently be directed at others.
- Low Energy Levels: Constant thoughts of negativity suck your energy and you are likely to approach life challenges without motivation.
- Procrastination:Negative thoughts often trigger apathy. You may be reserved about taking up opportunities that prevent themselves because you believe you are not good enough.
Cultivating a Positive Mindset
To be clear, cultivating a positive mindset does not mean ignoring the things that are not right in our lives. It should not be confused with wishful thinking; it is the development of a proactive mindset so that you can take on the world with vigor and bravery. Here are some tips:
Counteract with Positivity
You can push back the negative thoughts by counteracting them with positive ones. The technique for doing this involves using positive mental images, words or taking up an activity you enjoy.
- Distracting Activities: Every time you are hounded by negative thoughts,distract yourself with some activity. This should be something you enjoy doing like reading a novel, cycling, or watching a good movie.
- Distracting Thoughts: Invoke old memories whenever you have negative thoughts about something. For example, if it is about work, push away those thoughts with the good things that have happened while you were there.
Even as you adopt a more positive outlook you can use your negative thoughts to chart your path. They can tell you more about the things you fear and value. You can use your skepticism to gauge what you need to do or go. This can be beneficial as long as it doesn’t degenerate into cynicism.